August 27, 2010

Re-vamp your packaging

It occurred to me recently that I don't put enough effort into my packaging. A lot of artists insist that the packaging isn't important as long as it serves its purpose and protects the product inside. However, I believe it's extremely important. Adding that little bit of extra thought gives your customers an important message. It says "I love what I do, I appreciate my customers and I enjoy putting in the extra effort for them."

I wanted to add a little extra onto that message - "Please re-use this packaging, for the earth's sake." Sure, I could just attach a note that says that... but I had a better idea. Why not package using things that people naturally keep and reuse?

So I've started collecting cookie tins and gift boxes wherever I can find them. I put up ads on kijiji, freecycle and billboards around town in case anyone has some they need to get rid of and I'm going to be scouring whatever garage sales I can find. I also have some baskets lying around that I might find some way of using.

I'm still not sure what to do with my paper goods - I'm probably stuck with envelopes there - but if anyone has an idea, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment